Monday, February 3, 2014

ELDER GAL-EE!!

Hi Family & Friends!

Sorry I didn't send any photos today or last week! I actually forgot my camera...and I haven't been taking too many photos. I promise I'll repent!

This week has been good. We're having a bit of difficulty finding new investigators, which is what we really need. Our Zone Leaders are really getting on us about that, and we know that if we want success, we need new people. That will be the focus of this next week. 

I went on a division with Elder Cardozo (from Paraguay) a couple days ago. I don't think I've ever met a person who knows the Bible better than he does. I got re-inspired to really focus on my personal study. 

On our division, we had a lot of fun just talking to people. Elder Cardozo loves to talk to kids...so we would interrupt a group of kids playing soccer and talk to them about the gospel. Kids here are super open to strangers, and they always love talking to the missionaries! I know a ton of kids personally by name, and they always remember that my name starts with "Elder"! We can't actually teach them without parent's permission, so we just invite them to talk to their parents about the missionaries.

I don't know if I ever mentioned the way that people pronounce my name here. Almost no one says my name completely right here. Generally, people say something around the lines of "Gal-ee" with an i sound on the e. And when I tell people my first name is Carson they just get confused. :)

The rain is not too bad. I bought a cheap umbrella for approximately 4 dollars, so we'll see if I stay dry! I'm starting to learn why so many missionaries said that the CTR Socks were so good. A present that I would appreciate in the future would be more socks of the same kind or similar. 

And yes, we do keep going when it is raining. If we stopped or waited for too long, we would get nothing done the whole day! If it is really raining hard, we try to stop at the house of an investigator and teach. 

I almost don't want to respond to your breakfast and dinner question...but I think you already know. Generally, we don't eat a breakfast and dinner. If we have anything, it is usually crackers or some kind of bread. It was a bit difficult for me to get accustomed to the drop in food, but I'm good now. It´s amazing how, when you're hungry, everything that you eat is really good!  Our lunch of rice and beans and meat is always delicious. Even the most stale type of cracker is pretty good. Try it sometime! If everybody's actually hungry, nobody will complain about what you made for dinner...they will just eat :D

I actually meant to ask you. We have a very limited budget, and sometimes it isn't enough. Right now, I am using my card every now and then to buy food or supplies. Can I continue doing that? I'm actually being really frugal with everything that I spend, so it's not like I'm using a ton of money. And I think I will buy the suitcase this week, which will be about 150 dollars. Tell me if I need to change anything about my spending habits. It really helps to be able to use my card every now and then.

Our testimony meetings are great. We always have the same problem of so many people wanting to share their testimonies that sacrament meeting goes really long. And the testimonies are usually really emotional and spiritual. 

I think I worded the last letter wrong. When I said Elder Nores had married several couples, I meant that he had influenced couples to choose to marry and be baptized. Technically I've already done that as well. The couple in Barcarena married after I left. The Bishop actually marries them. 

It's super cool to hear about so many people preparing to serve missions. We are all enlisted! Keep me updated on the calls and progress of the people I know. I hope that everyone with the desire to serve has the opportunity and takes it. 

I asked Elder Nores what's it like in Lima, Peru on Hannah´s behalf. He said it depends on what part, but generally it's really crazy with tons of people on the streets and lots of music and parties. I think that fits exactly with Hannah's personality, so good luck there!

I had a sad experience with the Irma B this last week. We stopped by to invite her to church again, and she got really mad. She said she has been attending church for the last 8 years waiting for a miracle to happen and her skin problem to be cured, but so far nothing's happened. She even said she wasn´t willing to pray. There is so much faith here in Brasil, so it was sad to see someone lose it.

Other investigators with potential are L- a 14 year old girl that has a strong desire to be baptized but is not attending church.

C-C-G-C

A group of relatives that live in the same house. None of them attended church yesterday.

L-L-D

L and L went to church this Sunday, so I have hope for them! They are still pretty firm in The Assembly of God, so we'll see what happens.

And other people that have less potential. Like I said, we will concentrate on new investigators this next week.

It sounds like everybody is doing well. I hope everyone continues to do great things and be awesome. Have a great week!

Elder Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment